Friday, June 16, 2006

And the Band Played On

Discrimination against Muslims at US airports?

LAHORE –Most of the Muslims traveling to United States are being selected for “random security checking” on landing at any of the US airports, and in some cases interviewed by the local police or the FBI, say a large number of those who have recently traveled to the US.

“You have been selected for a random checking, please step aside and cooperate,” is what they are being told. Next, their luggage is searched and screened. They are then subjected to a body search, and are also asked to remove their shoes, which are thoroughly checked.

“This is happening to everyone, be it a Muslim or a non-Muslim,” says a source in the FBI. However, several of those who have recently returned from the US disagree.

One of them told The Nation that there was a recent case in which a Muslim woman was profiled at the Newark Airport in New Jersey, and eventually interviewed by local police. Travelling with her 10-month old baby, she was asked to wait for the FBI, and eventually interviewed by local police.

According to sources in Washington DC, the woman, in a letter to American Muslim Council (AMC), wrote: “I had the right to know why I am being stopped. He [police officer] answered in a rude voice loud enough for everyone in the gate area to here, ‘Because of your name…because of September 11th, because of the terrorists that blew up the planes.”

She said that when she told the officer that she was a woman traveling with her baby the officer replied, “Oh, you are saying there are no woman terrorists that can blow up planes!”

On receiving the letter, the AMC Executive Director Eric Erfan Vickers wrote to Ms. Naheed Qureshi, an official at the Justice Department, requesting her to conduct an investigation into the incident.

“We are requesting that you conduct an investigation of this particular incident, as well as determine if there exists a pattern and practice of discrimination against Muslims at airports. It is almost one year now since September 11, and there needs to be a comprehensive solution to what appears to be continuous airport profiling.”

AMC, the senior Muslim political organization in the United States, was established in 1990 to increase America's seven million Muslims' effective participation in the U.S. political and public policy arenas. AMC has played a key role in political advocacy for American Muslims throughout the 1990s, initiating many of the historic events marking the entrance of Muslims into mainstream American culture and life – Awais Ibrahim

True Story:

by Housewife4Palestine

I had to travel on several America airplanes a few months back within the United States and at every airport I was either questioned because I wear full Islamic dress or they just saw a little Muslim woman traveling alone on business and thought I would be a good target. My luggage and handbag was completely searched along with my Identification papers read over and over.

This particular trip my dear husband couldn’t travel with me because he couldn't get leave from his job, so I was left to make the journey alone and I have to admit I was dreading the trip to begin with; but it was necessary travel.

While I am a very peaceful friendly person, but along with the two times my luggage was searched and the wand going over my body which in contrast to the lovely dance I had to do I felt like I was putting on a cheap show for the Non-Muslims who gave me the bad looks and the loud expression's that I deserved what was happening to me.

While myself, I did not feel I deserved this anymore then the jeerer’s needed to wear a burqa and do a belly dance for my enjoyment.

On one flight, I even had a man that had been sitting behind me to my right when most people was boarding the plane that just before it took off; I noticed this same man got up and set on the end of the row I was in so after what I had been through already I was guessing him to be and Air Marshal. He apparently either looked like he went to sleep or actually did.


As many people on a flight having had several beverages, I had to go visit the bathroom.

What is interesting this was the first time I had ever used an airplane bathroom.

I really didn’t wish to bother the man, but I was to the busting point with my bladder so I had no choice but had to ask him to excuse me, for I was going to the bathroom and couldn’t wait.

I do not know if other people have ever done this, but upon leaving the bathroom and all the rows looking alike and after being on a few planes; I had forgotten what row I was seated in and before I knew it I had passed my row and it dawned on me I had gone to far. As I turned around you should have seen faces like I was a hijacker or something not an not absent minded woman.

How I found my seat was the Air Marshall was getting kind of up in his seat which made me notice him. I kind of made him laugh, when I did mentioned I couldn’t find my seat and it was nice to see a familiar friendly face.

I did go back to my seat and was quite the rest of the plane ride. I still thank Allah, I did not have to go to the bathroom again.

As I think back to all the excuses I was getting for why i was being treated this way, if I had gotten just a dime for each excuse; by the time I got home I could have made my husband a wealthy man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home